Come visit the north-west's most interesting and informative museum!
(12 - 17 years)
|Children under 12||Free|
The museum building was erected in the late 1890’s and in 1901 it became the general store for Newman Goldstein & Co. The store was stocked with all the requirements for Newman Goldstein & Co.’s fleet of 22 luggers, 2 schooners and a steam launch. The store was also an important mercantile business victualling and purchasing pearl- shell and pearls from other fleets. The company at this time also owned the Roebuck Bay Hotel.
In 1904 the Customs House and Bond Store was destroyed by white ants. Despite a public outcry, the government service was transferred to a building that was situated in today’s museum yard. Customs then moved into the current museum building in 1910 and remained until 1979.
The Broome Historical Society’s need for larger premises resulted in the Broome Shire Council purchasing this building. It was opened as the Museum in 1981 by the then Premier of WA, Sir Charles Court.